Pages

Monday 14 December 2009

Gelatin Printing

Several of us had a great day last week playing with gelatin printing.    For those who don't know, it's a form of monoprinting.  A 1/4" layer of gelatin is prepared and turned out of it's mold.  Then painted, a decoration placed on it (everything from elastics - very effective, to leaves, netting, string - you get the idea) and then the fabric patted on top.  The first round leaves a clear impression where the decoration was.  Round two produces a more interesting result - the decoration is removed and since some, but not all the paint is on the first piece of fabric, what happens is a pale background, with a darker image where the decoration had been.  I think a few photos are in order!

   


    



3 comments:

  1. I can't quite get the hang of making the pics go where I want, and I couldn't delete one, so I apologize if you can't see it clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhh, you turn the gelatin out - now I get it!! Some days I am sooo slow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One reason why you should choose a flat bottomed pan although the top will work as well because liquid sets level. But it does mean you can use both sides. A slight uneveness shouldn't be a problem as you are working with a 'soft' 'friendly' surface. Wash carefully, then pop it back in its dish and keep in the fridge for another play.

    ReplyDelete