Pages

Monday 10 May 2010

Seeing Red - for a nephew


This challenge is a most appropriate one for me - I've been collecting red fabrics for a project for a while - trouble is, I've used most of them. My nephew is getting married in 2 weeks time, to a lovely girl, Louise, and we've had many a good holiday with them in the past. So, being in the middle of making a blue, fishy, quilt, I asked them if they'd like it for their wedding. Cut a long story short - they wanted a quilt, but not that one. They have a red bedroom and wanted something for the wall that they could later put on the bed.

Well, I don't often do commissions, but this is family! My idea for a wall hanging was not going to work as a bed quilt, so I ended up making them two items. 'Going Home' is made using the confetti technique. I wanted the feel of a Canadian autumn, and think have got it. Many thanks to Dianne, Colleen, Pam, Heather and Helena who critiqued it half way through construction, and stopped me mucking it up!

The bed quilt is much less imaginative, and much bigger. Hope they like it! Entitled 'Free Wheeling', there are 11 bicycles hidden in the quilting.

So I've 'seen red' for the last 2 months - there will be a pause before I make my piece for our latest challenge. Think I'll do some nice restful pieces in blue, green, yellow - anything but red!



3 comments:

  1. Just stunning Linda. I hope they realize what treasures they're receiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - what a difference - it is magnificent linda. i liked it before but now i can see how the changes make it more believable. the red one remains gorgeous. congrats all round. pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful pieces which I am sure will be greatly appreciated. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete