Pages

Saturday 17 July 2010

Framing option



Visiting the gift shop of the Shelburne Museum in Vermont last week, I noticed some art quilts by Judith Reilly for sale. I was impressed with the method of framing, and asked to take some photos, which I have included here. The art quilts were bound with traditional 1/4 inch binding, then mounted on something like a thin foam core to lift them off the background matte. A complementary matte was added for an outer edge, and it too was lifted off the surface, perhaps by means of a thin foam core. The whole was then framed under glass. Each piece was for sale at about $800 or $900 US.

2 comments:

  1. i really like this idea heather. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across this before but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I also liked the idea of lifting the mounting off as well.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete