Pages

Saturday 24 July 2010

Seeing Red, revisited


Well, here it is, the new, improved Seeing Red #1. I was unhappy with this piece because there was some script right in the middle that looked awkward to me. I was advised by a couple of you to simply add more script elsewhere, which I did, even though the piece had already been quilted. Much better. I hand-stitched the 12" x 12" piece to a large square of hand-dyed purple cotton, and in turn I stretched that over a 16" square stretched canvas, then stapled it into place. VoilĂ ! The hand-printed cotton was from a workshop taken with Rayna Gillman.

Pam Chasen, Michele Meredith and I will be in Ottawa for a five-day workshop next week. We will be stretching ourselves by taking what appears to be a course in collage on wood. Much of the appeal of these experiences is about making a time and a place to be creative, with like-minded people. To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you carried on and sorted your unease about this piece. It deserved a second look. Brilliant result. And I love the purple border - the perfect foil. Nice one, Heather.

    Have a wonderful time, girls, on your wood collage workshop. It sounds intriguing and I'm sure you will gain from the new knowledge and skills. Please let us see and hear what you get up to?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Heather! Have fun in the class - so lovely to get together with kindred spirits and experiment.

    ReplyDelete