Pages

Thursday 30 September 2010

Gozo

Some years ago we spent a holiday on the little island of Gozo which is part of Malta in the Mediterranean.  It was a very good holiday apart from lorries driving passed our villa to the local quarry early in the morning.  The fishing boats are all brightly painted and cried out to be captured in pictures.  I have often looked at reflections in water and tried to analyze what it is I am seeing.  On our trip to Brittany Dianne, Rosie and I took many pictures of water, boats and harbours but the picture that gave me most inspiration was one taken in Gozo where the water behind the boat was sheltered and calm and the reflection strung out.



The boat is fused and the reflections are done freehand using a zigzag stitch moving sideways to 'paint' in the colours.  Thanks for the theme.






Hilary

4 comments:

  1. Just love it , Hilary. Wonderful piece. Stitching is so effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful use of colour, Hilary, and the stitching techniques capture the idea of reflecting water so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece, also got the thumbs up from David (husband). I am enjoying and making more and more use of thread painting. Find it very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have captured all the right lines for the reflection, and your choice of fabric for the water is brilliant - it gives such depth. It was something I thought of attempting but was nervous about getting the lines right. I guess I shall have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete