Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Nautili


I've always loved the structure of  the nautilus and this seemed to be the ideal opportunity to use it for a quilt. These are not 'my' colours and this is not a technique I've used before, but the design seemed to ask for them!  The fabric for each shell was created from fabric scraps overlaid with organza. These were then layered and stitched from the reverse. Each 'chamber' was cut away with a soldering iron. Bearing in mind that underneath the top layer was a layer of organza which loves the soldering iron this was a laborious process not to be repeated. Photographed on a dull, rainy Manchester day the glow from the organza is somewhat lost!

8 comments:

  1. Well worth all the effort! I love the colours. Did you plan each section individually, or just cut away until you got the colours you wanted for each section?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I considered a nautilus shell as a subject for Structures, but I never imagined it like this! Very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is delightful. And what care must have been taken with the soldering iron! It also sounds like the composition was intricate -to sew from the back and yet get all the colours in the right place.... Nice balance of design and colour. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it linda b. the variation in colors in each shell - is that the fabric underneath? it looks quite textural. your quilting gives it a 3D effect which is so real. a lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just up my street .... I love shells. Soldering irons are laborious but you can do wonderful things with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's delicate and beautiful, Linda. They are such iconic shapes and just cry out to be reproduced. I love the way you have chosen to - a little mad by the sounds of it but it has paid dividends.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting technique to get this look! I would never have thought to have done all those steps and the end result is stunning! The colors "work" for a very "oceanic" effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnifique ! j'adore les couleurs, la composition, le thème !

    ReplyDelete