Pages

Saturday 2 April 2011

Creativity

I just read this blog and felt I wanted to share it as he, Austin Kleon, has some sound advice:

http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/

Elizabeth Barton also talked about the difference between 'borrowing' and 'stealing' ideas.  She equated it to 'stealing a pot of yogurt' which by eating she had changed into something of her own and 'borrowing' the spoon to eat it with which she could return in the same condition.

I also liked Austin's explanation of the difference between a hoarder and a collector.  And the expression garbage in/garbage out.

But the best bit of advice was don't wait until you know who you are before you start making your art together with make things you like!  It has taken me years of trying out all sorts of styles and techniques to accept that I am better and happier at making graphic stuff - I am a phony when I try to be impressionistic.  Of course, that won't stop me from giving it a bash every now and then.

Anyway, I felt better about myself/work and where I am at after reading his blog this morning - thanks, Austin.

Hilary

Hilary

4 comments:

  1. Lots of good common sense ideas, very affirming. Thanks Hilary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for sure very affirming. i think we can all relate. another affirming quote which keeps me going when i hit get the 'blank canvas syndrome,' comes from south african gary player, international golfing champion. he said,'the harder you practice, the luckier you get.' that's my gary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Succinct advice. If you feel like reading something that elaborates on the creative process and personality a little more, I have two favourite books to recommend. The first is a little over 100 short pages: "Art & Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. The second is more involved: "Creativity for Life" by Eric Maisel, an author recommended to me by an artist-friend who has studied with Maisel and been trained in coaching by him. Both books can be read and re-read often, offering something of value with every reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have read both books recomended by heather and totally agree with her.

    ReplyDelete