Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2011

FRESH rain after a drought


I thought this would be appropriate coming from Africa which is such a land of contrasts - how wonderful it is to feel and see the rain after a long, dry spell! The joy of seeing rain falling onto a parched land. I used hand dyed brown toned fabric for the background and used angelina to give a slight shimmer of the water, then I layered organza on top of this, quilted the whole piece and burnt through the organza in various places to show the hard, brown earth below the surface of the water. The beading, which I did last was the raindrops falling onto the puddles.

10 comments:

  1. Very clever Patricia. Love your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a piece best appreciated up-close. Beautiful textures and palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely needs looking at close to - love the way the water shimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really succeeded in translating your intention into cloth. The burnt away sections are brilliant for showing the harshness of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the close up view being so good - wish I could see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done it again, Patricia. Lots of depth in this piece - each layer has a meaning and reason behind it. Funnily I had been thinking about how I would portray rain splashing up only the other day. I certainly wouldn't have achieved this much.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors make me feel as if the skies are still full of rain! The different techniques that you used to get the desired effects are brilliant! Now I just need to pull on my rain boots and slosh through those amazing puddles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A dazzling and impressive piece, Patricia. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the movement and glistening of the water is so realistically portrayed. i see this in the un-enlarged version. close up - the burnt earth is so real. it made me emotional over the 'beloved country.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours and textures are very evocative and it really does actually look wet. Amazing and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete