Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Street Life

This was a wonderful theme, and I worry I haven't done justice to it, especially after seeing everyone else's work. I had lots of ideas, but very little time, which was my own fault. I was determined to use a street scene from Castle Donington now I have moved back here, and the perfect occasion arose in October when the annual Wakes were held. This was originally a 'hiring' fair for those seeking work and/or workers, but is now an annual fun fair held in the main street of our village. I took many photos on the last night of the fair, but the weather was bad and most of the rides were packing up. None of my photos inspired me, but I still wanted to try and show the contrast between the 17th century buildings and the modern rides and lights. I decided to try an abstract version of the houses, and add the lights and colours with thread. I then managed to scupper myself by leaving the glow-in-dark threads which I had planned to use at a meeting the day before this had to be finished. The 'houses' were pieced using simple 'no-ruler' strips, and the 'lights' free-machined.

11 comments:

  1. Love the starkness and clarity - it says it all. I think you can take this further. Sometimes simple is best and your pieces holds it's head high.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! Love the simplicity and clarity. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, please forgive me, but I see reflection here. Are these buildings set on the water?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean Heather, but no, there's no water involved. The original photo showed the buildings down the street, getting smaller with the perspective, so that's how I saw it - 2 storey buildings going away from me. It was only after I had assembled it that I saw the same reflections that you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, Linda! I like how the quilting moves away from the buildings adding to the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What more can I add - before I read your description I 'saw' a row of old buildings receding into the distance. I have a feeling that, as Hilary says, there is more that could come from your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely idea, interestingly portrayed. i love the contrast of light foreground and dark background. a lovely piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the way you used the perspective in the piece and how you interpreted the theme - I definitely see something else coming from this composition - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shading and the perspective is "spot on"! Made me feel as if I were on this street with the street lamps reflecting off of the buildings. I am amazed that perspective and mood can be done so well on a 12" x 12" piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so great at interpreting architecture Linda. A simple yet powerful view of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again Linda you pick up the essence of your subject. It really is evocative of old buildings lining the street.

    ReplyDelete