Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

2011 Journal quilts

I've finally finished my 2011 journal quilts for the Contemporary Quilt group here in the UK. This year they all had to be 10 inches square, with circles on the first four, text on the next four, and a button, or buttons, on the final four. My idea this year was to do a series which fitted together at the end of the year, so I cheated rather on the text and button parts, and just used fabrics which had printed text and buttons on them.

Here's what the final set of journals looks like. I did the overall design of interlocking circles at the beginning of the year, picked a set of fabrics, then each month made my predetermined design, adding extra detail with fused fabrics and quilting. My rule (which I relaxed for the final few) was not to look at what I had done on a previous month so that the fabrics were distributed across the whole piece randomly.

I'm quite pleased with the final result, and I loved the technique of joining the curved sections using machine applique from the top, but now I'm faced with the question of whether, and if so, how, should I join them together??

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful unity you have achieved, Linda. Each piece reminds me a little of the map mini-quilts you made for us before you returned to the UK. I see circles of all sizes, with layers shifting, and the eye traveling in wonder from one area to another. I'm going to have a good look at the composition of each square, as evidently they had to stand alone for the project. Amazing achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning. What a result! You must be thrilled to pieces.

    Do you have a space to hang them as a whole? Then join them. We have successfully joined our journal quilts together for display at exhibition for the last four or five years by adding invisible strips of net,lace or even Lutradur behind the joins and tacking the quilts to the strips. We make one long sleeve for the top so they hang straight. You could also create a plain quilt for the backing and then attach the quilts to this.

    Would you want to be able to sell them separately or in multiples? Then think about attaching them to boxed canvas frames. You can either cover the boxes with a matching/contrast fabric or paint them.

    Still bowled over with how gorgeous the set looks together.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure has come a long way from that initial design - it's brilliant and so smart to start off the way you did. Is it called Holst? The Planets? And do you want to keep them? If so, maybe just whip stitching them together along the back of the binding would work. Glad to see that you are back to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One could look at this for a long time Linda. It is very unified in design so it seems like it would be happy put together Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are quite a genius linda! i love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Linda. What a good idea.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Linda, I love the way it flows from piece to piece. It definitely works as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, Linda! This is devine!! Your idea about starting a 12 month project and how you approached it is absolutely brilliant! Gives me loads of ideas how to strategize some projects that I have been thinking about but don't want to commit ALL of my time ALL at once. Plus, I would imagine the "evolving" effect would be a huge benefit.
    Are you planning to enter this? You must!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Linda - this is just beautiful. Congratulations! Debs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a fantastic series. It is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wondering how these would look together, it seemed such a good idea to have a plan! Having the detail of each individual piece superimposed on the framework of the whole has produced a work with real impact!

    ReplyDelete