Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2013

More boathouses

Boathouses #2
For the Encore challenge, I went back to the Structure theme and made a piece based on a photo of boathouses I had taken this past summer.

Near Dianne's cottage is a marshy inlet lined with dozens of these "structures". Their jaunty colours and skewed angles are so typical of maritime buildings.

In the last couple of weeks I have continued to explore this subject.

Boathouses #2 has been sent to the SAQA annual fundraiser auction.


Boathouses postcard

This postcard (8" x 6") was made for a silent auction that will be held at the SAQA conference in Santa Fe this April. It will be matted to a 6.5" x 4.5" format. I'm really looking forward to attending this conference (my first) because I will get a coaching session with Leni Levenson Weiner on "Finding Your Artistic Voice".





Boathouses #3



The rest have been made so that I have enough work for the Hudson Artists spring show.










Boathouses #4


Because I'm on the executive, I get to show a couple of pieces in the lobby of the community center for the month of April.

The show itself runs April 19 - 21, and Michele and I will be among a group of about 35 exhibitors.

This series is all in the 12" x 12" format, and uses low-immersion dyes for the sky, arashi dyes for the water, and more-or-less solid hand-dyes for the buildings and walkways.



Boathouses #5
Boathouses #6







5 comments:

  1. Super, Heather. I can totally understand why these boathouses appeal and lend themselves to such a wonderful series.

    Your choice of fabrics - sky and water in particular - are perfect.

    Keep going,

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, these are fantastic. Great individually, and even better as a group. I love your use of the colours, the neutrals and the black stitching - so simple and effective. I too have photos of the same group of boathouses, but as of yet have nothing with them. Not sure I dare to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! I wonder if somehow we could participate in the Elephant Barn show - they'd be snapped up in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The serenity of the scenes are transporting and the quilting so definitive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all. They could live quite happily along my passage wall.

    ReplyDelete