Pages

Monday 29 February 2016

Snow Bubbles

One of my greatest winter pleasures is walking with my dog on the frozen lake across from my house. The snow is clean and fresh and when the sun is shining, it feels like being on the beach. This winter, though, the weather has been up and down a lot, with little snow and lots of freezing rain. Walking on the lake is too dangerous now. But about a month ago, the conditions were perfect for walking, though the thermometer hovered around -25 with howling winds. I snapped a photo of the patterns on the snow, which was my inspiration for this piece.
Made with my hand dyed fabric, covered with black silk organza.

10 comments:

  1. Quite a departure for you, Helena. I look forward to seeing this one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heather - I wouldn't have automatically recognised this as your piece of work. I like the way the underlying patterns in the hand dye can be seen through the organza which definitely gives that feeling of holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, wouldn't have put your name to this piece, Helena. I almost see rays of sunset or a shaft of light here.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric choice and the contrast between your source and the warmth of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I like the sun rays. I can see you and Dianne are enjoying the February in Quebec. Who would have thought yellow could be worked into our winters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wind has certainly been making some intricate patterns with all our changing snow and wind! Very organic Helena, not unlike your tree bark series. Kudos for getting out there with the pups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shapes and the colours peeping through the organza

    ReplyDelete
  8. After I finished this, I showed it to my husband who changed my perception of the piece forever when he quote this line from a song (Frank Zappa I think) "Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That was wicked. But it still made me smile.

      Delete