Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2016

PIERNEEF

This was not an easy artist for me to interpret ,despite having lived in SA and studied his art in the past.
I found his colours 'faded' and bland . He definitely placed emphasis on clouds and trees and so I chose a painting of his which enabled me to interpret both these elements . I used colours which I had in my wool collection as i decided to use the free motion quilting technique ,using wool as the thread to be couched .
The background was first painted so that I knew where the clouds would be . I did the wool design on the clouds before appliquéing the mountains and trees and then did FM couching on these .
I am not sure whether I really like the end result .

10 comments:

  1. I love your end result! The wool couching gives the piece so much texture, and I like your brighter colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should be pleased with this, Rosemary. You've found a way to brighten up the palette, and by echoing the green of the trees in the foreground, you've made a well-integrated piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your design interpretation is really great, especially using the curves of the trees so well. Your colours definitely give the whole piece a lovely contrast to Pierneef's rather sombre work. Your use of the free motion quilting using the wool as texture was inspired. I think this is a technique I want to tryout in future. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! The modern Pierneef would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your comment about facing difficulties in spite of having lived in SA really interesting. I assumed my struggle was odwn to the fact that I knew neither artist or location.
    I'm delighted that you've brightened his colour palette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your lines and technique and the colours are perfect. Not sure if I have been looking at different works of Pierneef but I found a lot of his pieces were very strong and almost irridescent in colour. Quite unnatural looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you have done the trees - the shape and all the couching. It really works well. And yes, I like the brighter colours

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourites. I just love those stylized tree shapes, the purple mountains in the distance and all that wool couched down - it is very impressive. Great sense of perspective and distance. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really works for me! I love the colours and textures of the wool and the stylized tree shapes. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the bright colours and the couched wool works well.I like it a lot

    ReplyDelete