Pages

Sunday 31 January 2010

Connections - Rivers

It was -21C when I took the dog out for a walk this morning.  But sunny and beautiful.  There is a widening of the St Lawrence river near us which is called Lac St Louis.  The river is mostly frozen over but a warm patch last week must have opened up water in the main channel.  So our "lake" is frozen, but way off in the distance with the sun rising behind it is all the mist coming off the open water.  Quite lovely.  And no camera.   I'm not sure my camera would have been happy in that cold!  But I started thinking about connections - the river flowing from central Canada out to the Atlantic Ocean, and all the people who have used it - from native Indians, to explorers, trappers, settlers who often had no other form of road, now recreational users - sailors, ice-boaters, fishermen.    

This is not necessarily what I'm going to work with.  I just see connections everywhere now.  Even on the ski hill, I was thinking about how all the runs were interconnected and all the people flowing down them who now have a connection to each other.  I could go on.......

1 comment:

  1. Rivers are wonderful 'connectors'. I remember you explaining to me that the river and lac froze over and you could skate over to the island. It seemed impossible looking at it in May - that powerful fast flowing wide mass of water.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete