Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Red, Red Rose

When considering the challenge "Seeing Red" so many different ideas popped into my head from the Red Post Boxes in England to the Red Ink of the stock market.
June marked 30 years that John and I have been married, so the focus narrowed to a single red rose which is significant in our relationship. My challenge was that I wanted to make the rose petals transparent/see through yet convey the red color. I found red cellophane at the art store and designed the flower from enlarging a flower motif from a piece of fabric. The tricky part was to arrange the top, batting and backing exactly to allow light to shine through and still finish the edges with satin stitching so it could be illuminated. In the quilting, I incorporated "Red" words such as: Red Rose, Red Hot, Red Tape, Red Light, etc. I can't wait for the next challenge!


2 comments:

  1. Your rose positively glows, Vanetta. Where or how are you going to hang it for maximum advantage? And congratulations on 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous idea - beautifully handled. well done vanetta on the quilt and the anniversary

    ReplyDelete