Pages

Wednesday 11 August 2010

I'm back from holiday, and finally have had time to sort and wash my indigo samples. Some are OK but some are too pale for unknown reasons. Could be too few dippings, or it could have been the different batches we made. Wish I had kept better records.

This first set is of the soya wax samples. Made with various kitchen implements, plus brush and tjiane, they are all too pale. Despite a hot wash, they still feel stiff as though there is wax still in the fabric.
This set shows some examples of straight gathering stitch. Top left shows more widely spaced, wavering lines of stitching, whilst the two on the right were stitched on drawn straight lines. Middle left fabric was folded in half, then stitched in squares, before being gathered tightly. The two pieces at the bottom were pole wrapped; the one on the right was then redipped after it had been removed from the pole.
Top left shows the results of the milk 'pullers', plus cling film. Top right was rolled round a rope, then the ends of the rope tied together. Done twice, from two opposite corners, it was one of the last pieces I did, and is one of the palest. The bottom piece is a mystery; can't remember what I did. In fact, I'm not even sure it's mine - does anyone else recognise it?
These four pieces were all shibori pieces. The left two pieces used a running stitch about 1/4 inch down from a fold, The ones on the left used a straight running stitch, plus knotting on the lower sample.
These six pieces are my favourites. Various shibori techniques, though some did not justify the effort of removing the stitching afterwards. Shame a couple of them are so pale.
And finally... a mixed bag of techniques. Top left shows the 'rolling round a rope' technique; top right was concentina folded, then gathered with a running stitch. Middle sample was just scrumpled into a metal pencil holder (see detail below). As large areas were still white after the first session, I re-scrumpled it and repeated the dipping about three times.

General conclusions - a fantastic three days at Dianne's. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. I think I love shibori effects, but now want to try them with Procion dyes where the results might be more predictable. Pole wrapping also intrigues me, and I'm about to try it for over-dyeing some fabrics.

A few holiday photos will follow when I've sorted them out; and Heather - I love your collages. A different medium, but still so you! Hilary - your graffiti quilt was worth all the hard work. Do tell me all about the FOQ later this month; I'm so disappointed to be missing it again.

3 comments:

  1. Good to read that you're back from your holiday, Linda. What a wonderful display of your shibori fabrics! I do sympathize about the fugitive quality of our indigo products. I had planned to combine my indigo-dyed bits with a solid, but it's rather difficult to know which solid to use when the blue is fading before my eyes! Frustrating, because I know we followed all the instructions to a T. I have ordered some indigo-coloured Procion dye, and may experiment a little with that, particularly with the pole-wrapping. All the same, the retreat at Dianne's was a highlight of my summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of inspirational surface design there, Linda. When I have done indigo with my friend Tig here we have dipped and dipped until we have got the depth of colour we wanted. You don't have to wait till it dries - just till it has oxidised to blue. The only thing to be careful about is adding air to the vat. I can't wait to see these fabrics appear over time.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have never been product orientated - always far more interested in the process. after seeing all these beautiful pieces linda - i now can't wait to see an end product (sorry!).
    looking forward to hearing all abt your travels.
    we got home on fri from lake nipissing, northern ontario after a privileged 2 week family vacation -biking,swimming,cycling,hiking, boating, fishing, reading, sleeping,board games etc. now it's the back to school stuff, house guests, jewish holidays and the possibility of a trip to SA to see my mom in law.
    love to you all

    ReplyDelete