Pages

Thursday 30 September 2010

12bythedoz

Reflections - Zanzibar. As shown previously, I had 4 small pieces from a workshop started many years ago and this theme has enabled me to finally finish them - albeit one. Because of the size I could only fit three in which worked as the fourth had areas of very strong orange and blue and I think this was the stumbling block originally. Getting the perspectives right fox me often, but I will get there. My Zanzibar door is not quite right and the pavement in the Stone Town piece is wrong in the front ---- my left and right sides of the blocks should have been at an angle. Overall very happy.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely way to preserve those memories, Phil. I like the overall colour scheme very much, and especially the subtle colouration of the hand-painted street scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to reflect on a special place, Phil. You have done a super job of capturing the essence of the island - those beautifully carved Arab doors, the streets and the Muslim influence. Remember visiting the henna salon?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. My congratulations on great success with the difficult perspective. I had to give up on getting a vanishing point for something I wanted to do- my room was not big enough! It's a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of lovely detail in your piece. I especially like the "carving" in the wood and the line of housing.

    ReplyDelete