Pages

Sunday 19 December 2010

Christmas Gift


Almost two years ago, Helena held a group show at her gallery called "Red Alert". I submitted two pieces, and they both sold, one to a dear friend here in Hudson, Rosemary Lombardi. This was the third piece that Rosemary had bought from me and of course I was thrilled.

Rosemary was diagnosed with colon cancer five years ago, at the age of 60. She lived life to the fullest in the last five years, traveling to Italy twice, going to fitness class, reveling in the company of two little grandchildren. About 5 weeks ago, she asked me to visit her to discuss a Christmas gift for one of her caregivers, Kate. We looked at some of my finished work, but in the end I offered to make her a smaller version of the Red Alert piece, which Kate had admired.

Rosemary passed away on December 11, and her funeral was yesterday. This morning I delivered the framed piece to her husband Peter. Right up until her last couple of days, Rosemary was busy planning holiday menus and gifts. Her family called her "The Little General". I hope that Kate will cherish this piece and that it will remind her of a wonderful lady.

3 comments:

  1. Heather, this is the most heart-warming though incredibly sad story. What a wonderful sounding example Rosemary was to us all - to soldier on and get the best out of life right to the end. Of course that beautiful piece will say it all to Kate and I have no doubt that she is cherish it and remember a very special lady everytime she looks at it. What a wonderful gift you have created.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice you were able to do this for her. I'm sure it meant a lot for Rosemary to know that it would be done, and that it would be special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How rewarding to work on a piece for two obviously very special people.

    ReplyDelete