Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

My DNA and Me



One of the first ideas that jumped into my head was DNA.  After seeing the helix posted I wasn't sure I could still use the idea.  However, on scrolling through other pictures on the web, I realized that the technical "pictures" were columns, usually black, with white lines.  On top of that, our guild challenge this year is portraits.  So here is mine.  I lightly drew the outline, free motion quilted it and used a sharpie to do the black bars.  Perhaps I should call it face lift - artistically edited wrinkles!

9 comments:

  1. Clever Dianne. We also have a 'self portrait' challenge due in next month and I am definitely using artists licence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's you, Dianne! Well done. Not an easy thing to do by any means. Yes, I too would use artistic license and give myself a facelift (who's your surgeon?). Nice touch to link it to your DNA.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Dianne. And so clever to kill two birds with one stone - I've still to start my portrait quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, Dianne, to combine the portrait with the structure of DNA. And so effective in the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent stitched portrait Dianne, although you are much more beautiful in the flesh. It's a technique I've always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. also seen this one in the flesh and it is a lovely piece. no wrinkles maybe but your features are far more refined. nevertheless, an excellent caricature. love the conceptual element, the color palette and the combination of ideas. well done dianne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Helena, you've just added the icing onto a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not having met you, I just had to take a closer look at your profile photo - wrinkles what wrinkles?
    I love your sideways take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interpretation on this theme...very clever! Now I know I will recognize you when you come to Houston!

    ReplyDelete