Pages

Thursday 3 November 2011

New Studio

The new studio in England is finally sorted, so here a few images. It's quite a large room (by English standards) with french windows opening onto the front garden. After many trips to Ikea and do-it-yourself stores we finally have it the way I wanted. In one corner is the desk, with Mac in pride of place. Another corner contains my two sewing machines at right angles to each other. The third corner contains a nice gas fire - put in when we expected this room to become a sitting room or dining room, and the door to the hall occupies the 4th corner. In the middle of the room is the piece-de-resistance - the large worksurface when I can cut, design or do what ever I want! It's high, but my plastic drawer units containing fabric and tools fit underneath it very neatly, and in the very middle I can store waddings, well out-of-sight. An Ikea unit between the desk and the door contains threads, books, paints, dyes and silk screens (the latter hidden in the blue boxes). This still needs a bit more sorting - there are still a number of books in my old room that I want to bring over. I'm extremely pleased with the whole set-up, though I have yet to work out how to get a design wall in. Possibly a stand alone one between the HQ16 and the fireplace?

We're having the rest of the garden landscaped at the moment as well - hence the man pushing a wheel barrow that you can see through the window. Now I just need to start my Street Life piece (oh, and finish sorting out the rest of our belongings). I've been photographing the local Wakes and I think I have my subject!





9 comments:

  1. Wow nice job and very inspiring! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Linda! Your studio looks perfect. The windows/doors looking out to the garden is to die for. You have plenty of space, great equipment and are well organized. It will be hard for your family to get you out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't see the guest bed! (private joke) it looks gorgeous linda - many hours of happy sewing - i miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the clean neutrality of it, Linda. Some of the studios shown in magazines make my head spin with their bright colours and bold patterns. For an actual work space, your approach wins hands-down. French doors?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit the cleanliness and neutrality are probably due more to our daughter than me - she decided it should be black and white when we decorated it as her studio before I left for Canada - but I do love it. Trouble is I now have to motivate myself to finish sorting out the rest of he house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Studio and with the french doors lots of light and space. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great working environment. If I had a studio like this I'd shut the door and let the rest of the house sort itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, to have a studio like yours, Linda! It looks wonderful - spacious, light, airy, great view for inspiration, lots of storage. No excuses now!

    My design wall is made of a Clover design wall fabric stretched over plastic electrical conduit pipes and elbows. It is light weight, movable, collapsible. One day I would like to have a pull down design wall that can be 'rolled away' when not in use.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moving house is always such a process...so glad that you got your studio organized so quickly. Ooooh! How I miss England with views of the garden and the seasons. Great organization...love Ikea!

    ReplyDelete