Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Street Life: Quebec City


This challenge was a very welcome opportunity for me to work with an architectural subject. I love cities! The piece looks simple enough but there were many steps and decisions and, yes, mistakes along the way.

Four weeks ago I went to Quebec City. I printed out some of my photos taken there and made a collage with them. Working with a photocopy of the collage, I outlined the major shapes with a marker, and then traced this line drawing to a water-soluble stabilizer, which I then spray-basted to a square of gray, hand-dyed cotton. With black, 40-weight thread, I machine-stitched the line drawing onto the cotton, backed with white Timtex.

Colourful buildings are one of the distinctive features of the Old Town, so I considered applying paint to the roof shapes to correspond to the original photos. I had a photocopy made of the stitched cloth so I could preview the effect, but in the end I decided on a monochromatic palette. I may make a more colourful version in the future. I used TAP to introduce the photographic images, but they were so high-contrast that they detracted from the couple walking in the foreground, so I scratched some of the TAP off the cloth. The original collage included some beautiful stone walls, but again I opted for simplicity and decided against duplicating the texture in stitch.

There was some scorching of the cotton when I applied the TAP, and I can only guess that there may have been some residue of soda ash, basting spray or stabilizer that caused this. Also, I must remember in the future to make my sketch a little less than 12" a side, as I like to have a narrow border of the painted canvas mount showing. By making the sketch 12" square, I had to trim the edges a little too close to the photo images.

13 comments:

  1. This really brings back memories of Quebec CIty and it's wonderful architecture, and I love the black and white treatment. I do wonder if you needed to add the photo images, but I think I'd need to see the piece with my own eyes before coming to a decision. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Heather - you took me by surprise. It's very striking and so good. Your skill levels are way better than mine! I must remember that tip of using water soluble.

    I, too, am slightly wary of the photo images in this piece. But it gave me the idea that you might want to explore: of using actual photo images in place of some elements in a bigger piece - putting an image of a window where the window is and the gate where the gate is, etc - maybe with the softened edges as you are so good at. Could be a lot of fun.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following on from the previous two comments .... you have three photo images but in two places and if one was moved would that not balance it more? Still love the piece and the black & white gives it mood and feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece, Heather. I enjoyed reading about the process. The scorching works on the image on the building. I like the technique and would like to try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece Heather! Unmistakable architecture and expressive focal point. You can sense them leaning into eachother against the wind. I love the transfers and would even suggest a third area ,perhaps a small small sign the couple can view near the door ahead of them.Really do need to see this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased that you decided to stay with a monochromatic palette rather than adding small elements of colour, the buildings are so distinctive. Your work puts me in mind of a local print-maker - http://www.jimbutlerartist.com/drawings.htm Your use of line is very different, but he too uses prints in his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, Linda B. I will explore it at length soon. When I experimented with adding colour to the black-and-white line drawing, I quickly realized how important it is to use a transparent wash of colour, and only in selected areas, as he does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the technique. i love it on its own. i would have stuck with it exclusively. you have such skill in working the machine 'free style,' this looks like a magnificent ink drawing. i really like it heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your monocromatic view of street life emphasising the clean lines of the buildings with just the small figures. I nice piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I am in awe of your drawing skills. It is even more impressive that you can transfer these skills to the sewing machine. I can't wait to see it in person next week. Although I have to say I think your drawing carries the piece and doesn't need extra enhancement with image transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your piece made me feel the cold wind and bitter chill even though there were no signs of trees swaying. Your use of black stitching on gray fabric really shows the starkness of architecture with just the couple to indicate life.

    Thank you for describing all of your techniques that you used as it really helps to understand how complicated this really is...plus inspires me to try new techniques.

    What weight of thread are you using? Top and bottom? A particular brand? Hope you do more "line drawings"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The drawing was easy because I just traced the major lines from the photo collage. I used 40-weight thread in the needle and Aurifil 50-weight in the bobbin: it's 2-ply so it's a little lighter than the typical 50-weight. (Colleen can tell me if I've got that wrong!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The disadvantage of being last to comment is that there is not much else that I can think of to add. I love the drawing and am impressed with your skill at doing it by machine. Colour would make it a cute touristy pic so I'm glad you left it off. And the figures are very expressive.

    ReplyDelete