Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

You see life on the streets

Thanks for the theme, Linda B.  As some of you already know my first (wicked) thought was a rat disappearing into a drain pipe!  But I had foolishly promised to try a new technique this time and I would have reverted to my usual style.  My second idea was to try out the collage effect that Heather and Michele are so successful at - I have loads of images of doors and architecture from France to play with.  But it was the third idea that kept niggling and developing in the back of my mind.  So here it is.  The skill level is zero and there are loads more things I 'could' have done had I had the time - and who's fault is that?  Anyway, it was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.



And yes, Dianne, it was someone with a bag - but you couldn't see the bag  in that little clip - good guess!

The figures were sketched, scanned and printed onto old fashioned typist's copy paper and only the main lines stitched through the paper.  Then, with paper removed, the blocks of coloured fabric were fused in position and the rest of the lines stitched free-hand.  The border is first satin stitched then four colourful yarns twisted and attached with the serpentine stitch (the multi stitch meandering one).

Now I can't wait to see what you all have come up with.

Hilary

10 comments:

  1. I love your images Hilary, and your pieces always make me smile. I'm also in awe of your sketching ability, and like the technique you've chosen to use. Hopefully I can see it 'in the flesh' one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun, well done! You can almost visualise walking along the street passing everyone doing their own thing and getting on with life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we enjoy it too! Love looking at all these fun little figures. Smiles all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another piece to make me smile - who hasn't met these characters at some point? And no I didn't guess what you'd done from the snippet you teased us with! Once again your technical ability shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is such a good rhythm, Hilary, with the little figures strung out along the width of the piece, like birds on overhead wires. A nice touch of humour in your drawings that shows the "mark of the artist".

    ReplyDelete
  6. please make a HUGE one like this. absolutely terrific. please take a look at another favorite south african artist of mine http://kimlieberman.com/node/45
    and see the similarities between what you have done and her work with thread on postage stamps.
    i love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your figure drawing is amazing - this was one of the momentary meltdowns that I had when I first saw the subject - Street life = people. I have of course been proved wrong with all the different and varied interpretations (bugs, dogs, racoons) I am not too good on drawing figures and your design was different and really great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fab interpretation of the theme Hilary! I love your little figures. There is so much to look at and enjoy in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful. It's simple but it kept my attention and I checked out each character carefully - including the dog with the leg up! Your line drawings are very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't stop looking at the drawings, the colors, the subjects...same but all different! Your sense of humor definitely comes in play here...the bus stop, the old man walking into the young woman, the strategically placed loaf of french bread, even the dip in the "street" as the dog is exiting the scene!! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete