Pages

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Man's Best Friend

You can probably tell I don't have a dog by the awkwardness of the paw prints.  And we don't have any snow to be able to check...  Foot prints were the first things to come to mind - and then ladders.  I had been successful portraying crop circles using the faux chenille technique so I wanted to try out footprints in snow.  To add a bit more interest I made it taking the dog for a walk to include how dogs zigzag from left to right always on the scent trail.
Man's Best Friend
The boot print is my actual walking boot and I hope I have been able to show three layers - the fluffy snow, the boot print and the track print.  What doesn't show are the twinkly bits of silver, sparkly threads and even glitter in the snow.  Another time I might use two layers of white organza as the top layers - or maybe one on top and one buried in the other layers...  Edge is satin stitched and then my favourite twisted cord added.

What does show are pencil/graphite marks where I stitched through tracing paper to get the outlines - drat!!!!

One day I want to create the 'summer' version of foot prints on the beach.

Hilary

11 comments:

  1. A challenging subject, but you've achieved a high level of realism with the sparkle and dimension of the snow. Very much what we're seeing on the ground here right now. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective in acheiving all 3 layers in the snow.A very cheerful rendition that makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this hilary. would be interested in learning more about how to achieve this faux chenille look. are the boot prints trapunto-ed? (convincing enough to think that you own dogs and often walk them in the snow!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great impact Hilary! I love your use of the chenille, it is so effective. Now I think you should get a dog....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately need to see in person as I am missing all the glitz - very clever though. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of my ideas but I couldn't quite figure out how to do it. And you have - I love it. You've done a great job with the tread and the paw prints. And the snow is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You effectively take a monochromatic piece and give it texture and a story: if your doggie is walking between your steps, then the leash is wrapped around your ankles and the next "frame" will show disaster!!! HA HA HA Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true, Venetta!!! I did think of that because I have seen dogs do that so often.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever use of monochrome and texture. I can almost hear the crunch of the snow as the footsteps are made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As ever your interpretation makes me smile ans the execution of your chosen technique is spot on. I can almost hear the snow crunching underfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it Hilary - we need a lesson on your technique with the faux chenille! It is so realistic one gets the real feeling of snow crunching underfoot (not that I have walked in snow more than twice in my life)! Wonderful texture. I thought of a similar interpretation with the footprints to show dancing steps - yours is so much better.

    ReplyDelete