Pages

Friday 31 August 2012

Olympic Jubilations


I originally choose this theme after seeing the Union Jack bunting (banners) all over England ready for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee earlier this year, though I was actually planning to use a wonderful leaf pattern from a plant in my garden - a heuchera called Cherry Jubilee.  Then we had the Olympics, and, as in Canada for the Vancouver Olympics, there was a sudden outpouring of national pride.  Not only that, but for the first time I could remember we weren't then disappointed by not living up to our hopes.  We did better than expected, and all of Britain basked in the reflected glory of our sportsmen and women.  I felt I had to celebrate with them, hence the patriotism of my piece.  I even bound it in gold - it somehow seemed appropriate.

12 comments:

  1. I forgot to say that I used raw edge applique,but with no glueing. All the pieces were simply laid in place and then stitched over quickly before they could move. It worked most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have used unexpected printed fabric to add some fun to your wonderful composition. It couldn't have been easy to stitch this beast down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this piece Linda and that you have chosen to celebrate the success of the Olympics there.There is an antiqued look to the flags and I love the use of abstracting one bit. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very patriotic and evokes a true sense of the British Olympics. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jubilation and celebration in style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pride plus! I love how you create pieces that are personal and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And your flags are anatomically correct - no mean feat in a piece this size! What a great way to celebrate our success at getting something right for once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. who would have thought that batiks, christmas fabrics and other commercial ones - including golds - would work so well in capturing the essence of the union jack. well done linda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Queen's Jubilee and the Olympics all summed up in this little piece. I have never seen such national fanfare as in the display of Union Jack flags as this Summer. I still have my bunting up for the Paralympics. Excellent, Linda. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well executed and it sure gives the feeling of patriotism and joy that we saw on the telly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Using different sizes, different placement, different fabrics repeating the same image really conveys the strong sense of patriotism and elation of an amazing job (London's Summer Olympics) well done and appreciated around the world! The UK rocked it!

    ReplyDelete