Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Just in time! 

You'd have though as it was my choice I would have had something already in mind.  I am thrilled to see that some of the ideas I had played with in my head have been done superbly by others - Silver Threads... by Patricia, Spiritual Journey by Venetta for starters.  I also thought long about doing something with gauze along the lines of Helena's Lucy (New Girl on the Street) because it is so 'thready'.

In the end I decided to do something I have been wanting to do for a while - I even have several photos lined up.  That is thread painting - on a theme of door architecture (locks, latches, key holes, etc).   The photo was taken at Alston Hall, venue of many of our Contemporary Quilt weekend workshops.  It is a lovely old baronial home in the Lancashire countryside overlooking the Ribble Valley, now run by the Country Council as a residential venue for craft workshops.






The image was printed out on Jacquard fabric sheets - brilliant brand for colour.
Lesson #1 - it is going to pull terribly with all this close stitching - use lots of stabilizer.
Lesson #2 - how ever many shades of thread colours you own you haven't got enough!
Lesson #3 - I had fun playing with altering the tension to bring up the 'mouldy' green thread from the bobbin to create the mould in the grout.  Also a rust coloured thread from the bobbin for the specks of rust in the metal.
Now I see the photo there are areas that need a bit more work, but I am happy to be at this point.

Hilary

11 comments:

  1. Wow I love this piece Hilary,it is a stunner! Great contrast of dark light,shiny and dull,and great subject to show everything that can be done with threads.Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I would love to see this in person! You are so right about never having enough thread, no matter how much you have. The reflections in the handle are masterful and the whole piece is so textural, it just jumps off the screen. Well done!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena has said just what I was thinking, I really had to do a double take! You've added enough stitch to retain the original elements whilst adding to the interest in thread - a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have achieved such realism with your stitching, Hilary, that the piece looks like an assemblage, completely 3D. Stunning. Nice use of complementaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everything has already been said - it's brilliant. Love the reflections and the rust. I find it interesting how 3D the bricks on the right hand edge look!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All said .... but my favourite technique at the moment and I love what you have done. I also have the same issues as problem 1# - tucks and have tried extra stabiliser to no avail. Does anyone have another answer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can I say - it is stunning. I think everyone has said it all. I so admire your attention to detail and get it to work so well. This is an excellent piece of work and one you can justifiably be very proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to see this up close...the shading, the colors, the details all done with thread? No paint? Your work and eye for detail is top notch. I hope you find a venue or show to enter it in so others can enjoy this piece. Will this be the beginning of a series of doors? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thread painting is a wonderful technique for this theme. you have done it justice hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. In answer to a couple of questions. It was a photo I took and printed out and yes, I plan to have a series on this subject - that's the plan...

    How do you stop the shrinking/distortion? I have taken two classes with two different people using the same technique (-ish) but with completely different materials. Basically the answer is to hoop your work in the TIGHTEST way possible - so tight it is like a drum!

    Linda Miller uses heavy weight calico and some stabilizer. Linda B has also done this course. http://www.lindamillerembroideries.co.uk/

    Alison Holt uses thin silk, no stabilizer and it works!!!! http://www.alisonholt.com/

    My problem was entirely my own fault in that I did not hoop it because I was worried about the work being marked. I though the three layers (middle one felt) would be enough - wrong!

    Could this be the reason d'etre for my final piece - courtesy of Michele's theme?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done a superb job on the embroidery of the lock. Very painterly. And what a great picture you took! The stitching really has the bricks looking textural. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete