Pages

Thursday 28 February 2013

Encore Leonard Cohen!



Encore Leonard Cohen!
Around the time that this topic was selected, I was privileged to have been given a ticket to see one of my favorite performers of all time – Leonard Cohen.  It was his performance at the Bell centre in Montreal – part of his ‘Old ideas’ international tour.
For me, sitting in the eight row at the Bell centre, seeing him so close, feeling his pulse, seeing every wrinkle in his face as he smiled, spoke, sang, read his poetry and more was so overwhelming.
Why Leonard Cohen as my piece for the theme of ‘Encore’?
Leonard Cohen had retired and was forced to return to the stage as he had been swindled of much of his money. The first encore.
The duration of the concert was three hours – including many encores.
The fabric that I used, was given to me, many years ago, as 10 yards of white, prequilted fabric.  I have tried so hard to give it away.  I have also tried dying it and doing many techniques on it but with limited success.  I used a previously dyed piece for this piece and it seemed to work quite well. A kind of second life for this seemingly unusable fabric.
I printed him twice onto the fabric – an encore of his image.
Born into the Jewish faith he has dabbled in other cultures and belief systems.  He is now visiting his Judaism encore.
I would watch him encore et encore.
Techniques: I used a piece of previously dyed, quilted fabric over which I used textile paints to get the color and mood that I wanted.  Using techniques of image transfer I transferred all the images onto the background.  I then took the photo of Leonard Cohen from the cover of the souvenir program and transferred it onto fabric and then glued it onto felt.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this piece!

12 comments:

  1. An appealing piece but as is so often with your work, Pamela, there is so much content. The words and the double image all add to the work.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the same concert, Pam, and I, too, fell under his spell. A beautiful memory of a transcendent experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Your piece works the theme so well and as so many of your others were, Pam, it's again a memory piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it has all been said. A moving tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting 3D effect. Nice touch to use his personal script from the program too.Wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this one is my favourite of yours, Pam. It is so evocative, it speaks for itself, but your statement adds so much to its appeal. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. It's looks simple, but isn't, with many layers of technique and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a powerful piece...I have re-read your statement about 3 times and wish that I could've been in the audience that evening. I have some of that white quilted fabric and always wondered what I could do with it...what a brilliant idea and expression of "Encore"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You win the prize for the best interpretation of encore. He's a truly wonderful artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What more can I add except perhaps - encore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Je l'aime encore et encore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete