Pages

Friday 31 May 2013

Purple Artichokes

I woke up this morning and checked my email and thought OH NO it is reveal day and I forgot! So here quickly is mine before I cycle off to yoga. I will have to comment later from the car as we drive to Toronto. When Pam announced the challenge I could not get eggplants out of my mind. Then I learned about the existence of purple artichokes, and my decision was clear. Marion and I have been working on a giant artichoke quilt (regular green ones) so it seems very apt for this challenge. All of the fabrics are my hand dyed. The artichokes were made on a separate piece of felt, stitched and the attached so they are very 3D.

10 comments:

  1. Aah, artichokes instead of aubergines - I like it. I love the idea they are felted and then attached making them 3D. The echo quilting adds to the fact they are round.
    I hope we will see the green artichokes in the future - please?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh ...well done. I love the felt artichokes,they do exactly that ..... 3 D,you want to run your fingers over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric use of complementaries, and the stitching on the leaves is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great colour selections, for background and threads. And beautiful stitching. The texture of the raised chokes is so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green that you have chosen against this colour Helena.The quilting makes it all vibrate as well. I also can not wait to see your big artichoke that is almost finished!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's all been said. These are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great variation on the 'aubergine' theme. I can see the highlights on the artichokes are all done with stitch, but are the shadows done in the same way? I love the 'depth' of the artichoke that you have achieved. Not sure purple artichokes have got to the UK yet, neither, sadly, have yellow beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your artichokes look great and what a good idea to use felt to get the 3D effect. Your colour choice for the background is just perfect and sets the whole piece off - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In response to your question about the shadows on the artichokes Linda F, yes they are done in darker thread. I must apologize for not commenting on all the pieces. I didn't do comments when I was away and they were all posted, and now it seems redundant because everything has been said! Next round I will comment right away...

    ReplyDelete