Pages

Sunday 22 May 2016

It wasn't my intention to piece a Klee quilt but ....

Way back in March I decided that I wanted to focus on Klee's faces. I hadn't realised how many of his paintings featured faces and I love how he stylised his eyes.
Roll forward two months and the realisation that having done my initial sketches and a couple of failed sample pieces I'd not moved forward.  Except that I have - I'm now 'really into' (I wish someone could teach me art speak!) how spaces can be divided up by using blocks of colour to create interesting negative spaces, like this picture of a wall taken from https://www.instagram.com/graffitiremovals/

So I'm back to Klee's more quilt like pieces and have spent a fascinating evening selecting square areas of his work, or distorting rectangular sections that appeal. In the process I've learned that when he didn't follow the 'rules' relating to proportion he really knew what he was doing!

1 comment:

  1. Now I can't wait to see what you have been working on! Hilary

    ReplyDelete